Happy New Year!!!
Wow, can you believe its 2015? I decided back in September that I would restart my blog in the New Year. Not as a resolution but because it really helps me keep up with my projects, gets my yardage logged into Knit Meter and updated on Ravelry.
I have set up some goals for 2015 so it seems like a good way to start the blog. So here goes in no particular order:
- Blog a minimum of monthly, this includes updating Ravelry and Knit Meter
- Stash down, #noshitnonewyarn. Since I have store credit with Twist Fiber Studio for #sweatshopprogress this may be easier than it sounds. The exception I MAY make is at SAFF in October. It is hard to resist the fiber fumes.... :)
- Organize stash and catch up Ravelry. This one comes from getting my new studio space. I need to sort, organize, upload, and probably destash from the Wall O' Yarn.
- Do garment sewing. I miss making clothes. I want to make some more.
- Do weaving. I'm on my way. I have ordered some parts for Frankie (my frankenloom) and should be getting those in soon. I got her new tie up cords and fell down on Etsy and got 500 inserted eye heddles. Out with the old twisted wire heddles!
Those are my main fiber goals, I do have some life goals as well:
- Fitness. I'm not going to say everyday, so many times per week..... Somehow that seems to work against me, gives me an out. So borrowing from Nike... Just Do It!
- Diet. Not a specific, leave out whole groups of food, but make better, more mindful choices.
- Weight. That ties into Fitness and Diet. Making better choices and moving more will help.
Notice I don't have specific numbers listed. I don't think that's the point and I don't even have them in my mind. I just know that these are the things I need to work on.
- Sowing the Seeds Cowl by Zina Perry who is Little Yellow Uke. I used Desert Vista Dyeworks Viso Sock Base in the You're A Mean One colorway. Technically I have to pull back the bind off and do it again. I'll post a better picture when I do that.
- Infinity Scarf in my design. I cast on 12 stitches and am using a US size 15 circular needle in garter stitch. I used Michaels Loops & Threads Country Loom in the Rich Granite colorway. Its 100% acrylic and is a bulky weight yarn that has a thread ply on it. This is for my daughter, Katie. I have 3 more skeins to make 2 more for her and one for her best friend.
- Hitchhiker by Martina Behm. I used Desert Vista Dyeworks Zien base in the If They Kill Rick colorway from her Walking Dead collection. This was a Christmas gift for my best friend in law. As soon as I can get a better picture with her wearing it I'll post that.
- Barley Hat by Tin Can Knits. I used handspun that was from Kaleidoscope Batts by Unwind Yarn Company. This is for my boss's wife who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer.
- Oats (Cowl) Neckwarmer by Tin Can Knits. I used some mystery, probably acrylic, yarn in warm browns, gray and black variegated. This is for my boss, and I have something you will see later planned for their girls.
- Soay Cardi by Gundrun Johnson. This is an old UFO, about 2 years ago. I had problems with the sleeves and put it in time out. Its time to be done. I'm using Patons Grace 100% Cotton in the Lavander and Viola Colorways. I will finish this one after the Featherweight is done.
- Vanilla Socks with the Cynthia Variation. This is a Knitmore Girls sock recipe that uses a 3x1 rib. Michael's Luxury Sock yarn 60% Superfine Merino SW, 30% Nylon and 10% Cashmere in the Canyon Colorway. I'm about halfway up the leg on these. I used the OMG heel and I'm not sure I liked it.
- Custom Fit Featherweight by Hanna Fettig with Custom Fit by Amy Herzog - Kraemer Yarn, Fountain Hill Brushed Mohair lace weight. 80% Acrylic, 20% Mohair. Color Y4002. I cast on the first sleeve last night. I plan to finish this by the end of the month.
- Itty Bitty Sock Yarn Bits Blanket by Christine Long. I'm using leftover sock yarn and this is a long term project. I'm not sure I'll continue this. I don't like the way it looks when you turn it and pick up stitches. I may frog this and start a Mitered square blanket. I may send it to my daughter as a doll blanket for my granddaughter.
- Barn Raising quilt by Shelley Mackie and Larissa Brown. This is also sock yarn leftovers. I like these squares but I haven't had time to sit in the studio and knit very much so I only have two squares done. Also a long term project.
- Home Is By The Campfire by Karen Ezell. This is a cross stitch with a camping theme. I'm making it to hang in our camper. I plan to finish it this month too.
- SPAKAL Sweater 2014. This is my first planned spinning for a sweater project. I am spinning a lovely chocolate brown Shetland wool roving from Hidaway Farms. I am spinning the singles as woolen using long draw and plying as a true 3 ply for a worsted weight yarn. I will be knitting the Harvest Cardigan by Tin Can Knits.
- 3 more infinity scarves/cowls using the Michaels Country Loom yarn. One each in Rich Granite, Shale and Warm Cream.
- Happily Ever After Mitts by Susan B Anderson. I'll use the leftovers from the Desert Vista Dyeworks Viso sock yarn in the You're a Mean One colorway. This is a self striping yarn that looked great in the cowl but will be wider stripes in the mitts.
- Barley Hat by Tin Can Knits. There will actually be 2 child sized hats from some left over Kool Aid dyed handspun in Black Cherry and a Multi Color. I'll use the multi color in the ribbing, make the ribbing a little wider and then the pink for the rest of the hat. That will make the best use of the yarn and the multi color includes the black cherry so it really compliments well.
- Mr Greenjeans by Amy Swenson. I will use Universal Classic Worsted Tapestry yarn in the Vineyard colorway. I have already knit this cardigan but it was too big. Now that I have done the Fit to Flatter Craftsy class I feel more confident so I frogged the sweater and will reknit. This will be cast on after I finish the Custom Fit Featherweight and finish the sleeves on the Soay Cardi.
- Sock Yarn Blanket by Shelly Kang. This is a mitered square blanket and I am going to use sock yarn leftovers that I was using for my Itty Bitty Sock Yarn Blanket.
- The Beekeeper's Quilt by Tiny Owl Knits. This is hexipuffs made from left over sock yarn, stuffed as you knit them and then connected together in a blanket. If you are keeping track this is 3 long term sock yarn blanket projects. I have A LOT of sock yarn leftovers.
- Where There Are Bees cross stitch. I will start this after I finish the Camping cross stitch. This will be for the studio and I'll do it on linen cloth. I'll probably use my lap cross stitch frame so the linen doesn't get marks from the hoop.
The Beekeeper's Quilt and Where There Are Bees cross stitch are kind of tribute to the fact that I'm planning to start a bee hive this year.
This was a long post but I wanted to get a list of everything I have planned or in progress to help me set up some goals. I would like to have all current WIP's completed by January 31st with the exception of the sock yarn blankets. I would like to have my Up Next projects all completed by April 30th. Most of them will be sooner, but the cross stitch and Mr Greenjeans will take longer.
I guess that's it for this month. Have a Happy New Year and make things that make your heart sing.