Sunday, March 1, 2015

In Like A Lion

Finished Objects


I finished my Custom fit Featherweight Cardigan. I started it back in November. I followed the directions for measurements on the Custom Fit website and entered all my details including the gauge swatch. I'm very happy with the fit, and since I used a mohair/acrylic blend its easy to take care of but very warm. Its also fuzzy!


Katie's Infinity Cowl in Michael's Country Loom, Rich Graphite color and the Creme color. I put a twist in the Rich Graphite one to make it a mobius just to see if she likes it. You have seen these before. These are made with size 15 needles, cast on 12 stitches and knit until almost out of yarn and then graft the ends together. I used the Kitchener Stitch.

Isabella's Hat - My daughter said that my granddaughter didn't have a hat that fit her yet so I used the left overs from making my boss's daughters Barley Hats and made her a quick one.


In Progress


Citron Shawl using Malabrigo Lace in the Lettuce colorway. I'm loving this single spun yarn and the lush squishy softness. It has really, really long rows now so I'm not getting as much done as fast, but I expect to finish it early in March.

Camping Cross Stitch -   I have worked on it. I have the logs for the fire done. I know its not much but oh well..... I have two new obsessions.....

Happy Scrappy Sock Yarn Blanket! I have renamed it and purloined Knittinwolf's name for her blanket. I  love the name and its making me very happy. My plan was to work one square a night and them move on to another project (ideally the cross stitch) which worked for a bit.... I had a false start and realized that for my mind to understand this I needed to make enough single squares to make up the width of the blanket I wanted and then connect them by picking up and knitting in the gap between two squares. So I ripped out what I had done, organized all my scraps into baskets for either the Barn Raising Squares or Happy Scrappy Squares. The ones that were too small for either I rolled into balls for Hexipuffs for the Bee Keeper's Quilt. I made a bunch of single mitered squares until they were wide enough to be as wide as I wanted the blanket to be. So now I'm back on track but I have been a bit single minded. Oh well.... no big deal right? There are no Knitting Police!

WEAVING!!!! That is my second new obsession! I purchased a homemade Frankenloom over a year ago and then had to wait for our addition to be built to be able to even bring it into the house. Then hubby and I had to figure out what we needed and he had to make some parts for it. I bought new tie up cords as well as new heddles. Then I got out the Craftsy class on Floor Loom Weaving, that I had for AGES, and went though it step by step. I worked on a sample piece that had some yarn issues but worked well enough for me to get the hang of it. Then I wound up some rug yarn and warped the loom and started weaving rag rugs. I'm using some quilting cotton strips left over from my quilting days. I am LOVING the results. I'm anxious to see how they wash up since I didn't do anything with the strips other than connect them and wind on a rag shuttle. There are raw edges so it may fray a bit but I wanted rustic.

I have also started the Hitofude Cardigan by Hiroko Fukatsu. This is a gorgeous lace cardigan designed to hang open in the front. It has very interesting construction and there is a Ravelry Group here for it that discusses techniques for choosing size as well as help in the transition areas. I highly recommend reading the group posts before starting this.


I did my swatches and determined that I needed a size 3 needle and I'm making the large size. It fits like a shrug so its very important you check your measurement around the neck, under the arms and behind the back in one long measurement. Use that and your gauge to figure out what size. Its all explained in the group.

This week I also cast on the Bankhead Hat by Susie Gourlay, using my Twist Fiber Studio Madison Worsted in the Amethyst color. This is the  yarn I won in the podcast giveaway. I needed some car knitting since I have finished the scarves. This is a free pattern on Ravelry.


I got my Twist Fiber Studio Kickstarter reward at spinning on the 15th and immediately started spinning. I chose 2 braids of fiber and a bag. I will spin up the fiber and use the bag for my knitting project. I got Polworth fiber as I haven't spun much of that.


New To Me


I went to a pattern design class on Friday held at Hancock Fabrics. It was only $10 for the class and was 3 hours. I wasn't expecting much but one of my goals for this year was to sew more garments. I thought I would need a dress form to fit things to me. However, this class was AMAZING! I did buy two special measuring tools, a cutting guide for my rotary cutter and a roll of velum for pattern making. I won't give away the secret sauce but we were given 7 patterns and a DVD that can be used for making a multitude of garments as well as instruction on altering commercial patterns. I feel much better about sewing garments for myself now. With knitting I can always rip it out if it doesn't fit. Once the fabric is cut it's too late. Especially if its too small! If you have a chance to take this class it is very worth it.


Coming Up


I am planning another scarf using the yarn from the sample I was weaving that didn't work well as warp but will be great weft. I'm going to use black cotton 8/2 for the warp and this rayon for the weft and practice twill patterns. I think it will be very pretty and good practice.

I do want to make the pillows in the Craftsy class, Floor Loom Weaving. I'm figuring out what colors I want to use. I'll have to have a look at some yarn to figure that out. I'll work with my personal dyer once I decide colors as I am not buying new yarn. But if you remember I said that my "payment" for making bags didn't count as that was income..... :)

I'm planning another pair of socks, deciding which pattern and yarn. I'm also thinking which sweater I'll do next. I have 3 planned that I need to spin for so those will take more time, but I have yarn in the stash for at least 4  more so after the Hitofude I'll cast one of those on.

That is it for now. I hope that March goes out like a lamb! See you next month, and Be Creative!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment