Sunday, January 22, 2017

Let's see where we are...

In November I started thinking about my goals for the next year. I knew that I needed to get back to exercise and diet and so started talking about fitness goals with a friend who is a personal trainer. I wanted to find solutions for some specific obstacles due to the remote, rural area we live in and our work schedule. So once again I'm jumping on the fitness bandwagon. I have tried lots of things over the past few years since it has become increasingly important to keep a fitness level that will allow me to function. I have some significant arthritis in my hands, feet, ankles and hips and its important to keep the weight under control and keep moving. Last year I bought a DVD and never used it. I pulled it out last week and started it. It is Jillian Michael's Beginner Shred. I'm really happy with it. I can do the exercises, was SORE the first couple of days but now just feel the work on the body. In the first week I lost 0.4 lbs. and between 1/4" to 1/2" off all my measurements. This is the DVD I'm using. After I finish it I will move on to the 30 Day Shred. 


In addition to that I started thinking about my crafting progress for the current year and goals for the next year. I thought about what I had accomplished in 2016 and how I wanted to move forward. I came up with the following goals:
  • Increase spindle spinning
  • Learn to use Russian supported spindles
  • Knit SAFF themed yarns
  • Knit a minimum of two sweaters
  • Explore Inkle patterns
That feels doable as well as challenging. So starting the new year I'm showing all my current projects in their current state. Going forward I will probably only show things that I actively work on in the time between posts. 

I spent some time today pulling out and photographing my WIP's (works in progress). I really don't have many, especially if I don't count the long term scrap yarn projects. Not that they are not WIP's but they are not intended to have a specific end. Just when they are "enough" they will be done. 

Gradient Knee Socks - Ashley gave me a set of gradient self striping skeins last summer to knit up into socks. Since I have small feet and short legs these are going to be knee socks to use up as much of the gradient as I can. I started with the darkest at the toes and I'm knitting toe up, two at a time. I added calf increases. Currently I have about 2" to knit until I can do the ribbing. I probably won't get all the yarn used up but I will be into the lightest of the gradient. 


Mountain Laughter Shawl - This is a shawl designed by Kristy Bryson and Ashley dyed yarn and designed a project bag to match. Its lovely and a very fun knit. It has sections of garter stitch both solid and striped separated by a beautiful lace pattern. 


Clayoquot Cardigan - This cardigan is by Tin Can Knits. Ashley dyed the colors for me and the body is the same DK weight yarn undyed. This is a stranded knit pattern and is knit in the round and steeked. I am done with the knitting and am ready to steek, and knit the button bands. 


Traveler Socks - This is Knit Picks Felici in the Traveler colorway. I really love the yarn. I can see why it is so popular. I will probably get more in future. I will do a traditional afterthought heel so as not to interrupt the color stripe. I normally do two at a time socks but with the specific stripe sequence which will help me make them the same size. 


Long Term WIP's - I have 3 sock yarn scrap projects. I am working on a Mitered Square Blanket,

and a Barn Raising Blanket...


and a Scrappy Cowl...

As part of my craft goals was to do more spindle spinning and learn to use a Russian Supported Spindle. The Russian spindle specifically because I have two that I haven't tried to use. The red fiber below has been on my spindle for a few years. I am spinning on the small lightweight spindle and plying on the turkish. I purchased a couple of old salt cellars to use as bowls for the supported spindle and have started playing with that. 


I have a couple of sewing projects in the works. The first is a combination of sewing and weaving. I am making a bag with leftover weaving and I found a fabric scrap that coordinated. Then I got some crochet cotton and wove an inkle band to use as a strap. The grinch fabric is for a Christmas stocking for my daughter's youngest. I have made one for all her kids as well as her and my son-in-law.



To honor our new camper I am working on some embroidery. I'm nearly done with the counted cross stitch project. The other project is traditional embroidery and I will have to practice the stitches before I begin but I will be using the white cotton and will use the time old process of taping the pattern to the window and trace it onto the fabric. I used to do this on the x-ray light boxes at work in the old days but alas no longer have access to those.... 



I have weaving on the loom. I am making placemats for my table that will coordinate with my dishes. I have one finished and at the edge of the second one. There will be six in total. This is a draft I found on line and its is Bronson lace.


And last but not least I had a great mail day yesterday. I was looking to spend some of my Christmas money and saw Fibernymph's preview for her update. I fell in love with her new Valentine's self striping colorways and also was wanting to make the Flurry Cowl. So I set a timer to remind me of the start of the update and managed to snag the Sweetness colorway and the Flurry Cowl kit in the colors I wanted. This is special because I rarely order online. 





No comments:

Post a Comment